Pewaukee was set off and organized as a separate town by an act of the Territorial Legislative, approved January 13, 1840. The first recorded town meeting or election was held at the house of E.P. Maynard, April 8,1842. A committee of five was appointed to report on various sums necessary to defray the town expenses.
The committee decided that assessors, highway commissioners, and supervisors should receive $1 per day for services; that the school commissioners should receive 75 cents per day; and that the town clerk and treasurer should receive compensation as supervisors saw fit.
They also reported in favor of raising $200 for incidental expenses, and for levying a tax of one-half of one cent on taxable property of the town in support of schools. These resolutions were all adopted.